Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Gene Colan: Hope Springs


Had an emotional visit with Gene tonight at his hospice. He'd been out for his fresh air already today so he was exhausted and remained in bed for the few hours that I stayed. We spoke of many things: life and death, death and life, career, family, friends, G-d...

"If I could change anything, I'd have put my whole soul into saving Adrienne. I would have moved mountains to save her. That's the only thing I would do different... The best moment of my life was meeting Adrienne in Tanament, Pennsylvania. She was so beautiful--I couldn't believe it. That was my best moment. She was a knockout...

"My career? The process of improvement is slow, but I knew that I had something to offer. And Stan [Lee] knew it, too. He gave me a great opportunity. He's a first-class businessman. And he saw things in me that I didn't see. He would never come out and tell you that but he showed it in a lot of different ways...

"I'm not beyond fear. I'm fearful about death. Everything that you ever wanted to do just goes up in smoke. The idea of being put in the ground or put under the ground is frightening. Most people don't want to talk about it... But I've decided to change my way of thinking. What they're telling me is not acceptible to me. I've got a tumor and it's cancer. And that's it. But I'm thinking that whatever you are thinking can come true. If it's not a selfish thought. I lean heavily on G-d now. I wasn't always like this. There isn't anything I have to be afraid of. Love is the answer. And the way to get there is by trying to find good in someone you don't necessarily like. Prayer can't be selfish. You don't pray for a yacht or money--you work hard if you want those things. But if you pray for unselfish things...

"And if you're looking for an answer, just ask. You'll get the answer if the question is worthy of an answer."

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Give Gene my love - I'm no-one except a fan of his bold dynamic approach. And I love his work with Don McGregor (no past tense here!)best wishes from across the pond

Anonymous said...

Deeply grateful for all the moments of joy Mr Colan's art has given me as a reader, I send all my love to him from Europe.

BrettJ said...

I am glad I got a chance, however briefly, to wish Gene Colan a happy birthday a few years back. I was STUNNED when he responded with a thank you - one of my idols took a minute to respond. Give him all my best.

Rodrigo Suárez said...

I just want to wish that man the best. He made a great portion of my joy of life with his work. I loved Colan's art since my childhood here in Argentina.

Sean said...

Clifford, First; Thank you for having this blog and allowing us this opportunity. There is never really anything good about seeing a loved one in pain. And Gene Colan is certainly loved. Though I can never let go of hope, I can't help but connect again to my feelings being with my best friend while she too was in hospice care in 08. My best friend was my Mother. In my case I happened to loose her. And interestingly at the NY comic con in 09 Mr. Colan was someone instrumental in my continued recovery. I will never forget how he gave this nobody of a fan and artist the time of day and talked with me at length - for what seemed to be just because I smiled and said, "I'm so glad I've gotten to meet you!" I had no idea I actually WOULD have met him. And like any blushing fan I had my small bundle of Colan material for him to sign and talk about "just in case". But keeping him in mind I also brought photos of a 1968 Mustang GT - a replica of the one Steve McQueen drove in the movie Bullitt. I was fortunate enough to have had the opportunity to drive that car and boy did Mr. Colan have a lot to talk about after that. I remembered he too was a fan of that movie and it would seem his love of drawing is just as viral as his love for Detroit Muscle cars. He said several times, "I love Automobiles!" By then I had the guts to show him some of my art which included a Mustang of it's own. I was utterly speechless at the admiration he seemed to have at my work. ??? Wha??? Did Gene Colan just ask ME if I was in the comics field too? Oh my!!! If only I could have told my Mom!.. I imagine the time we spent conversing was about ten to fifteen minutes total. But it seemed longer because of his kind generosity as a person and as a truly gifted artist. It was if he'd invited me into his living room and we sat down for a drink. That's just how kind he is. Well,I must have rambled on at this blog too long by now but when it comes to Gene Colan I could just go on and on. It shows the kind of person he is. I realize that in no way am I special but Mr. Colan IS. And one of his gifts is that he seemingly unknowingly makes US, his fans, also FEEL we are special...whether we've actually met him or not. I don't wish him my love. He HAS my love!.. He has it as a person and as one of my favorite comic book artists forever and always. I will never forget his impact on my life.

Sean Michael Taylor

Jay said...

What a man.

All my love to Gene. He's the best. And I hope he got my card.

Rick O'Shay said...

A great human being will realize what is important in life- Gene nailed it- his wife, his work and his religion. He had a great life and will be recognized for generations to come with the legacy of beautiful art he has produced...rest in peace.

erik said...

i haven't looked at your blogs lately but everyone is so special Cliff..I came across this one of my father i haven't seen before and what he says. i can hear his beautiful voice in every profound word so rightly said.
and that picture of him my God i love him so much <3

erik said...

i haven't looked at your blogs lately but everyone is so special Cliff..I came across this one of my father i haven't seen before and what he says. i can hear his beautiful voice in every profound word so rightly said.
and that picture of him my God i love him so much <3