Saturday, March 27, 2010

Dick Giordano Passes


I've received a number of calls and email today regarding the passing of comics legend Dick Giordano this morning. Dick was a mentor to many, including some of my mentors. While I didn't know him personally, I join our many friends in marking his passing.

Among the notes I received from friends were these three from Bob Layton, Mike Gold and George Perez:

It is my sorrowful duty to announce that legendary artist/editor/entrepreneur Dick Giordano passed away today. Few could ever hope to match what he accomplished in his chosen profession, or to excel while maintaining great humor, compassion for his peers and an unwavering love for the art form. His unique vision changed the comic industry forever and all of those who work in the business continue to share in the benefits of his sizable contributions. I have been honored to call him a business partner, mentor and dear friend throughout the majority of my lifetime. We will not see his like again.
--Bob Layton

His own gifts as an editor and artist were nothing short of breathtaking. Dick always defended creative freedom and aesthetic opportunity, sometimes putting him heads-on with management powers, often representing not his own work but that of the editors in his charge, most certainly including myself, for which I will be forever grateful. He knew the good stuff when he saw it, he knew how to improve it, he knew how to incubate it... A very warn, opinionated, feisty man with a disarming sense of humor and a knowledge of illustration history second to none, Dick suffered through many health difficulties, including asthma, hearing loss, and ultimately leukemia. Dick was my friend and my mentor as well; I had the privilege of serving under him for seven years at DC Comics... I'll miss him a lot; in this, I will not be alone.--Mike Gold

Words can't adequately express my deep sorrow in learning that my friend, former boss and inspiration Dick Giordano passed away this morning. Dick had been in failing health for some time, so it came as no real surprise, but the sense of loss is still immeasurable. My heart goes out to Dick's family and friends and to ...all in the comics industry, pro and fan alike, whom he has touched. --George Perez

No comments: