Sunday, May 11, 2008

Gene Colan: Call For Action

Spoke with Gene this evening. He was exhausted but very optimistic. Good for Gene! But his wife Adrienne has no illusions. She writes, "My darling, sweet, handsome and brilliantly gifted husband's liver is failing. The complications are very nasty. This week it's fluid retention and encephalitis. He's on powerful meds now to diminish the symptoms. He sleeps a lot and has very little energy."

I've contacted a number of writers and artists this evening asking for a few signed items to auction on the Colans' behalf. Stan Lee, Neil Gaiman, Mark Evanier and Peter David immediately pledged their support. Many more will join the list over the next few days. Not sure which outlet will be used to auction these items yet, but we'll get to that soon enough. For now, if you're a pro reading this blog, please contact me and pledge a few signed books or a drawing. If the rest of you would spread the news to your own blogs, that would be enormously helpful, too. Let's get this ball rolling and give Gene and Adrienne a quick boost.

5 comments:

dave166 said...

Sure, Cliff, anything for Gene.

Happy Trails
Dave Simons

Unknown said...

I'm a poor Peace Corps volunteer. I am sure I can't afford anything at an auction, but if you point me in the right direction, I'll donate.

Bob said...

Let us know where to send items to and we will be glad to contribute.

Bob and Kim
www.comicarthouse.com

Matthew Ingraham said...

I may be a lowly 20 year old canadian, but I'm going to do what I can for Mr. Colan.
I'm going to give Dave Sim a ring and see if something can be added
(unless people would want to buy my art, I'd auction it for Gene)

Anonymous said...

Why is there so little coverage of this at the myriad comics sites?

In case anyone happening upon this hasn't seen that his art if for sale, I found that info here:
http://comicbookmovie.com/fansites/Sector2814/news/?a=35872