Friday, April 25, 2008

Herson’s Chabad and the DMV: An Apology

I have, on more than one occasion, compared Asher Herson’s Chabad of Northwest New Jersey to the Division of Motor Vehicles—“a cross between a kindergarten, a half-way house, and the Division of Motor Vehicles” is how I believe it was put. But an apology is clearly in order.

I visited the DMV yesterday, one week before my driver’s license and automobile registration were set to expire. Anticipating long lines, bad air and the sub-par service this machine was reputed for, I’d brought along Brendan Behan’s Borstal Boy, which I was only 50 pages into, another 300 pages to go. Expected to finish the book before I emerged, sweat-drenched and dysfunctioned by bureaucrats.

I was wrong.

I was in and out of the DMV in less than ten minutes. I repeat: TEN MINUTES! The clerks were polite and plentiful.

So my sincere apologies to those who deserve it. And my condolences to those who don’t.


Andy said...

Plus you meet a better class of people at the DMV


True. I'd rather daven at the DMV.

PJ said...

Hi at DMV New Jersey ?